Thursday, August 29, 2013

Christ in College

Establishing a relationship with Christ is no easy feat. Being a teenager doesn't make this daunting task any easier. The desire for peer acceptance often prevents teens from ousting themselves as a follower of Jesus to their friends because somewhere along the way, being a follower became moderately taboo. The good news is that in college you are celebrated as a Christian believer.

Since arriving on campus I have had multiple eye-opening, magnificent religious experiences. On Sunday I went to church at Veritas, which is a church service held in the Marriott Hotel. The church has no affiliation with the hotel, but it utilizes the space since the money has not yet been raised to build a structure of its own. Attending service in a hotel ballroom was a fine example of how with a strong body of believers, Jesus can be worshiped anywhere. 

Secondly, I attended my first-ever official bible study. I desire to know more about the teachings of the bible as I am not all that familiar with the specific work. I hope that through this bible study I will learn more about the bible, Christianity, and my own faith.

Finally, tonight I attended my first Cru large-group meeting. It was an amazing mix of worship, music, preaching, and fellowship. I love the people I have already met through Cru thus far and look forward to developing more friendships. I also really enjoyed the worship band. It is amazing how music evokes such a strong emotional reaction. I teared up at one point... not sure why, but something in the music overwhelmed my heart with the varied emotions of joy, sadness, and hope. 

I was eagerly looking forward to college worship and my expectations have been met. Being supported in your religious journey by your own peers is one of the most comforting feelings I have yet to experience. I can't wait to discover the path that my faith creates for me over the next 4 years. 

+Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment